Calm, Forward, Straight

Calm, Forward, Straight

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

At the barn #11 - Big doings and living vicariously...

You need to live your intentions, you need to live what you know.  It is not enough just to have good intentions or to know it.
Erik Herbermann

On Saturday morning we had another great ride. I am thinking now that every ride is a great ride... it's kind of a chicken / egg thing. It's a great ride no matter what happens on horseback... it's how you frame it in your mind.

Today the weather was perfect for strenuous barn work, cool north breezes - a nice contrast to the weekend which brought the first hot, sticky days of the season. We are within hours of the paddock expansion being completed. The posts have all been set so what's left is to restring the hot wire (braided rope). This will require the help of someone to keep Val occupied while the wire is down. If today is any indication, he couldn't care less what is happening in his area. He laid down next to my truck while I worked and took a long nap, stretched out and actively dreaming. It makes me happy to see that he is getting his restorative sleep.

This evening I had a sit down with the owner of the property that I keep Val on. It's 2.7 acres, a huge parcel for the overpriced "resort area" real estate market I live in. This is likely my best shot at affordable land that I'd be able to keep a horse on. Heck - there's room for a sizable arena, nice little barn and a even modest house. The sucky economy is the biggest element in my favor, go figure :)

My trainer is away at an Erik Herbermann clinic this week and she has been kind enough to post some notes on her blog. Val and I attended a clinic with Erik last September. Actually, we left for Maryland 2 days after I bought him. I had sent in my deposit for the clinic in the spring, before even looking at Val, assuming at the time that I would borrow a school horse. Was it wise to combine a brand new horse, the first trailer trip (6 1/2 hour drive) and a serious clinic? I had ridden Val exactly twice by the morning of my first session - while I got him ready I was so nervous I thought I would throw up. As it turned out, it was the best possible way to start out our relationship - although a bit of a trial by fire. Erik is a fair and kind instructor, but make no mistake... you had better be paying attention and fully committed to the learning process. Anything less is disrespectful. We're signed up for the clinic in October... I'm so looking forward to the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love my readers, and knowing that you've stopped by - it really makes my day.

However, to avoid the new illegible blogger word verification, I've added comment moderation. Lesser of two evils.

Please don't let this stop you - keep those comments coming!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...