Calm, Forward, Straight

Calm, Forward, Straight

Saturday, June 26, 2010

In the Arena #18 - Easier said than done

The success of our leadership lies in always listening to the horses as to how to lead them. Eric Herbermann

A long summer evening at the barn, filled with accomplishments. Tack room swept, this week's hay delivered and stacked - usually a challenge as Val feels compelled to taste (knock over) any new hay arrival before I can get it all in the door - a thorough, very hairy grooming, and finishing with a hot, sticky, buggy but satisfying ride.

We worked on our weak side turning by using the halt/angle/flow method. Sort of a more fluid turn on the forehand that helps to maintain momentum. Eventually I got prompt responses to my leg, and was able to stay very light in my rein aides. I also dropped the reins entirely for a while to see what kind of steering and stopping I could get off of my legs and seat alone.

I think Val appreciates variety, as do I. It is too easy (for me) to fall into a rut and become frustrated. The trick is to achieve balance between goals/plans and being in the moment. To stay creative, to be responsive to the unforeseen opportunities that arise each and every ride.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and productive ride, despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you and Val had a good ride. I always like to mix it up too, so we both don't get bored.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love my readers, and knowing that you've stopped by - it really makes my day.

However, to avoid the new illegible blogger word verification, I've added comment moderation. Lesser of two evils.

Please don't let this stop you - keep those comments coming!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...