Calm, Forward, Straight

Calm, Forward, Straight

Friday, January 21, 2011

In the Arena #46 - Never let 'em see you sweat

We getting quite the bareback habit... it's been weeks since we've saddled up.

Monday's ride started off on a surprising note. Val bolted away from the mounting block - not once but twice. Strange. He has always been a perfect gentleman for mounting, other than trying to get away with chewing his reins... or sometimes refusing to walk on until he gets his cookie ;) I got his attention back on me, and mounted up. I must admit that he was very "alert", so most of the ride was spent relaxing, breathing and staying calm.

I kept him busy with lots of transitions, and was heavy with the praise. By the end of the ride Val was focused on me and we did some nice work. I tried not to think about it while riding, but I believe something is happening / has happened next door that is frightening or worrisome to him. There have been signs of an unusual amount of activity in the adjacent part of the arena for a few mornings in a row...

no helmet

On Wednesday, after a head to toe grooming session, we spent some time outside the arena, doing trail riding prep. Upon further consideration, I'm seeing the very destructive clearing next door (the other next door) in a different light. It has actually left us a 10 - 15 minute baby trail loop that is not super overgrown like our original trail. My plan is to continue hand walking, gradually venturing a bit further each time. Once we can hand walk calmly, we'll start riding it. (This will likely not be bareback)

After trail prep, I cold hosed Val's left hind, which is a tad swollen and filled in above his pastern. Cold hosing gave us the opportunity to work on standing still and ground tying. Val did beautifully (once he realized there was no grazing to be had). A productive day!

******************************************

Yesterday the weather was perfect for riding. (I'll spare the details because I feel for you folks with the frigid weather!) Although there was a bit of tension at the start, we got over it quickly. We did some lovely figure eights, and leg yielded through the cones, connecting the exercises smoothly, flowing from one to another with no breaks in between.This helped Val keep his mind on business. I guess my mind was on business too. It felt great... organic. The sum greater than it's parts.

I decided to pay attention to my posture, specifically to sitting up straight, which is always further back than I think it should be. While I was in posture mode, I caught myself coming off of my seat a couple of times - "opening the back door" as my trainer would say. I capitalized on the moment by asking for the rein back. I suddenly thought about how many times my trainer has told me that you don't have to let on to your horse, that he's not doing what you intended, or that you're not where you want to be in the arena... basically don't let on that what's happening isn't your idea. Val and I struggle with leadership issues from time to time, so this is pertinent advice. And since I don't know exactly when we'll be able to get out of town for lessons again, (hopefully in February), the fact that on occasion my trainers words come to me at just the right time seems miraculous. I even asked for the trot, and did a bit of sitting - my first bareback trotting in a long time. A very satisfying ride.

*************************************
Val's left hind was swollen (no heat) again today, so I gave him some bute and cold hosed. He took his medicine like a champ, but there were some rather dra-matic treat refusals later. Oh - I guess I could take it in my mouth... wait - no, it's just too horrible - wait, I might be able to chew it with my very front teeth... I.just.can't... ptooooey! I know bute tastes terrible, I've put some in my mouth to see, but Val got over the histrionics pretty quick when the beet pulp mash showed up. I'm just sayin'...

new helmet

13 comments:

  1. The good riding weather sounds wonderful. Glad you're getting in lots of bareback rides - so good for you and so fun.
    That last picture of you and Val is wonderful! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I suddenly thought about how many times my trainer has told me that you don't have to let on to your horse, that he's not doing what you intended, or that you're not where you want to be in the arena."


    I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're brave! After the first bolt I would have probably gotten the saddle! You handled it with aplomb, though. I also have horse eating neighbors (they have dirtbikes and ATVs), I can sympathize with that.

    I had to laugh at the Bute drama. Spider does the same thing! He won't even take his treat after getting de-wormed. Silly TB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your nice weather for riding. It sounds like you and Val are making real progress. I also like what your trainer said about him not having to know he's not doing what you intended. Good idea, let them always think you've got control of the situation.

    Like your new helmet and the picture of you two is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ozzy went through a phase where he was terrified of the mounting block. Good work correcting it right away. Bareback rides sound so appealing right now. Seems you've had a very productive series of rides lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol-

    It's been well below the usual temps here since November, but I'll take it compared to what you folks up north are dealing with.

    Took the pic myself - hard to get us both in the frame since Val doesn't exactly have a petite head ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara-

    My trainer is wonderful. You might like Eric Herbermann's books - Dressage Formula and A Horseman's Notes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon-

    Not brave - afraid if I don't deal with issues in a timely manner they'll get harder to correct.

    I guess a positive way to look at it is they're training opportunities, rather than training issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GHM-

    That idea is deceptively simple - but kind of profound if you can achieve it.

    I like the picture too... we look happy together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dom-

    Who knows what gets into our horses minds... I guess it's that idea of ride the horse you have today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Billie-

    Hated the old helmet... uncomfortable, gave me headaches and un-flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CUTE!!! I laughed out loud with the little - no helmet- comment you wrote under the pic! HA~
    You have the Thinline bareback pad? Right? Have you had any problems with the girth buckle moving off the padding and onto Val?
    I think my mare's buils, she has a forward fitting placement, it makes the issue.
    I have ordered a sheepskin girthcover.It had velcro closure. I'm cutting it in half and will put it around both sides of the Thinline girth.

    Your discovery of the disruption is probably it...aren't they perceptive to environment changes?!!!

    Well, I think that your trainers quote about not letting your horse know..BRILLIANT!
    I'm so gonna do that too now ..with my new pelvis postion..
    Mary Wanless describes it as "Self Carrige" and if the horse disrupts his self carriage piece of the zigsaw puzzle, by hollowing and rising his head- no matter. You remain in your own self carriage, till he meets back up with the zigsaw fit, by bringing his back up again. The mental part is perfectly matched in your trainers description...not letting on but keeping on with focus!
    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love my readers, and knowing that you've stopped by - it really makes my day.

However, to avoid the new illegible blogger word verification, I've added comment moderation. Lesser of two evils.

Please don't let this stop you - keep those comments coming!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...