Calm, Forward, Straight

Calm, Forward, Straight

Sunday, June 25, 2017

10 Questions Blog Hop

1. What is your earliest, clearest horse memory?

To my horse crazy four or five year old eyes - he was the most beautiful, shining white steed I'd ever seen. In reality, Comet was a lame, sway-backed, elf-shoe-hoofed, randy old pony stallion, who my grandmother was deathly afraid would "jump on me" if she let me near him. Nonetheless, first chance I got, I climbed through that rusty barbed wire fence. Sweet success! Obviously the ass whoopin' that followed did nothing to curb my enthusiasm.

Sadly no pics of Comet exist - borrowed this one from the interwebs

2. Describe the perfect summer day.

Probably one that happens somewhere else. 85 degrees with 90% humidity is what we have to look forward to until mid to late September. Autumn and winter are the preferable seasons here. 

It's not all bad...

3. Are you reading anything right now?  Tell me about it!

Just finished Arundhati Roy's The Ministry of Utmost Happiness quickly followed by her earlier work The God of Small Things, which won the Booker prize. Roy's writing simply sparkles and the plot lines carry you away.

4.  Do you follow a celebrity (horsey or not) that fascinates you?

I'm in awe of Charlotte DuJardin. Witnessing her gold medal winning rides in the London and Rio Olympics inspired me beyond words.

Apparently Charlotte and Valegro do jump once in a while

5. What is your single largest horse dream or goal?

I'd really like to nail one tempis. That is basically a pipe dream until I can get off this godforsaken island for regular instruction ever again. In the meantime, I'm focusing on being the best horsewoman I can be. This has more to do with caring for my horse these days, than riding him, which makes me very sad, but is the wisest course until my house building project is completed, as I'm the only income earner. I take that back - the chickens are paying for themselves. Basically Val needs a job.

Besides being a hair model...

or king of all naps

6.  If you were at Starbucks right now, what would you order?

Nothing. I've recently learned how to cold brew coffee and I'm never going back.

7. What is your biggest equine pet peeve?

People who treat horses like machines... like they are disposable. Like you can just trade them in on a newer model. They're living, breathing individuals, not a means to an end. It is a privilege to ride them.

8.  With everything going on politically and in the media, do you follow it religiously?  Tune it out? Something in between?

For mental health reasons, I've had to decrease my news intake drastically since last November. When I do catch up, it's through NPR and BBC.

and occasionally Twitter

9. If you had to show your horse to a song, what would you choose?

Should I ever get so lucky as to choreograph a freestyle, I'd probably chose jazz. Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, Bud Powell... either that or reggae.

10. What are you most looking forward to this summer?

I'm waiting for the day I sign a construction loan and get in line with my builder. Hopefully that will happen in the next few months. Rapidly realizing that building a house on my own in an area with sky high real estate values is a pie in the sky endeavor. Wish me luck!

This is the house plan I've chosen - minus fancy deck rails and porch screens

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck on the house building! I read the God of Small Things book -- and the story stayed with me a long time. Cold brew coffee is my new favorite summer drink as well. Thanks for answering the questions -- I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I need to take a mental health day once in a while away from the political news, it's too unbelievable and depressing. Good luck with your house building. Love the plan. Once it's up it will be amazing. Val is looking good too. And I have to add that a good 'ass whoopin' didn't seem to do you any harm. You turned out to be a wonderful person and a great horsewoman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having tried your coffee in person, I can attest to the fact that you don't need Starbucks! ;) I can't wait to see your house finished. And your island will always be among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this - LOVE the house!! Hope all is well now that we're at the end of August already!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love my readers, and knowing that you've stopped by - it really makes my day.

However, to avoid the new illegible blogger word verification, I've added comment moderation. Lesser of two evils.

Please don't let this stop you - keep those comments coming!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...