Calm, Forward, Straight

Calm, Forward, Straight

Monday, January 17, 2011

We've got style (I think)


Super cool! Gennyral's mom over at A Horse and a Half passed this award on to us today. What a lovely surprise!

So, there are 4 duties to perform to receive this award:

1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
2. Share 7 things about yourself
3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award!

Thank you so much for the recognition OntheBit. Your blog was one of the first few blogs I started reading. I found you through TB at X. I didn't get hip to the following thing until recently, but I have enjoyed reading A Horse and a Half for quite a while.


Seven things about myself...

If you saw me, you wouldn't give me any kind of style points at all. I spend my days outdoors, doing landscaping. Man work, with men. I'm generally the lone female in any work situation, unless our client happens to be female. You should check out my hoody / sweatshirt collection. I was over the moon when I found out that there was such a thing as "lady" Carhartt. Don't even get me started about my hair, which is in a perpetual state of hat-head. I keep buying feminine shoes but don't lay any bets on seeing me in them. If I could find a way to dress appropriately as well as stylishly, I really would deserve an award.

My sideline, the occupation I went to college and accumulated heaps of debt for, is art. Studied graphic design at VCU. Presently making jewelry and doing mixed media / collage work. I'm working on an equestrian line, and an ETSY site. Stay tuned for more info - this is how I plan to subsidize Valentino - keeping him in the manner to which he is accustomed ;)

Vegetarian (lacto-ovo-pesco) for nearly thirty years. All I can say is, when I started, people thought I was crazy. Now it's all the rage. Trendsetter?! It's more about conscience that anything else. Everything is okay in moderation and I have nothing against ethically raised / treated / slaughtered meat...

I am trying to downsize my stuff, in an effort to simplify my life. Which is a funny thing to say when you own a horse. When we travel to my trainer's for lessons, packing for Val takes as long as for myself. None-the-less, I'm doing the best I can to be conscious of everything I bring into the house... (sort of).

I name inanimate objects. My favorite shovel is named "Trusty". My extendable pole pruner goes by "The long arm of the law". The hurricane blower - "A mighty wind". And the Kubota tractor I spend all summer on, affectionately called "Orange Crush". I know, I'm a weirdo, but I keep myself amused.

Without NPR, my little portable radio and headphones, I'd go stark raving mad. I love the meditative aspects of my job, but let's face it - a monkey could drive a tractor. You mow a yard once, and the thrill is gone. Thank goodness for NPR.

I'm the luckiest girl (woman) in the world, and very thankful for all of my blessings!

I'm going to modify the next requirement. My list of recently, or not so recently discovered great bloggers has been pared down due to some of them already being awarded... so, in no particular order they are:



I so enjoy following these wonderful blogs - smart, funny, inspiring. Now I'm off to notify them!

***************************************

This just in! The Eclipse awards were announced this evening.... and horse of the year honors go to - Zenyatta! A well deserved award. Congratulations to Zenyatta and her connections :)




12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award! Nice to get to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for passing it on! I don't know if I can find 15 but I'll try... You are too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank so much for listing my blog!! i read yours all the time an love it!!

    keep up the great work

    haha love what you said about working outside...chronic hat hair and trak pants and hoodies..me to me to...life on the farm doesnt make for feminine and stylish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for winning this award. Your list reads like we are the same person!!!! I, too, am a vegetarian (1979) artist with perpetual hat-head!

    Thank you for passing on the award to me. I am glad to have discovered your blog recently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe hat head is really stylish and we just don't know it! I can really relate to al the things that you have revealed about yourself. You definitely deserve an award for your blog. I really enjoy reading it. Thanks so much for passing the award along to me--If you check in with me later, I'll try to tell everyone some things that you don't already know about me. BTW, I love that Sweetpea song on your sidebar and that lovely doggo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Orange Crush" and "Trusty." That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Fun to read more about you and hoping you'll post the link to your Etsy shop when it's ready for viewing (and buying!)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! And Congratulations!

    I name everything, too. Although, my names aren't usually as flattering ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your award! And Thank You SO MUCH for thinking of me. I too am enjoying all the new online acquaintances and reading. I will be back on soon to fulfill my award! Also thank you for your comments to blog.

    I must tell you this is my first time back on since my latest post, due to (a) trauma, and the award and link has lifted me. THANK YOU.

    Yippee about Zentatta!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah, you sound like my kind of woman. Lady Carhartt's are the best! I spent years working construction.

    NPR is awesome, except for that completely incomprehensible comedy game show thing on the weekends. Never figured that one out.

    Hifive on ethical meat. Vegetarianism isn't my thing, but I can't do factory meat anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEA for you Congrats!...nice factoids too...really laughed at the naming of inatimate objects!Perfectly great, I think.
    I think you are awesome..I did not know about lady Carhartts...oooou!

    I too am thrilled for Zenyatta and associates!

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love my readers, and knowing that you've stopped by - it really makes my day.

However, to avoid the new illegible blogger word verification, I've added comment moderation. Lesser of two evils.

Please don't let this stop you - keep those comments coming!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...